Audeze Launches A New LCD-5 Flagship Headphone
Its no secret that the Audeze planar magnetic LCD-4 flagship has been a favorite of ours for years. Quite a few years apparently, because today the OC-based company released a brand new flagship to the LCD line in the form of the LCD-5. We had a chance to hear a sneak peak the new headphone when we went down to Audeze HQ for their new CRBN electrostatic, and even though the model we heard was only an early prototype, things sounded extremely promising. Aside from the implied sonic improvements, the big tech talking points to the headphone is a massive reduction in impedance to 14 ohms (down from 200 ohms in the LCD-4) and a weight reduction to 420g (LCD-4 was 690g). More specs and features outlined in the press release below.
The Audeze LCD-5 Is The Los Angeles-Based Company’s Newest Flagship Headphone
“LOS ANGELES, CA, September 20, 2021 – Audeze, the leading audio technology brand and premium headphone manufacturer, today announces a new reference audio headphone, the Audeze LCD-5 ($4,500). The LCD-5 sets a new standard for accuracy using a new driver design with Audeze’s own patent-pending Parallel UniforceTM voice coils and new magnet assembly. LCD-5 represents a completely new design made specifically for minimal reflections, improved frequency response, and a more open yet accurate soundstage. LCD-5’s impedance is 14 Ohms, sensitivity is 90dB, and it weighs just 420 grams (1/3 less than the LCD-4!). Handcrafted in California, USA, the LCD-5 has been meticulously engineered to provide unmatched audio for industry professionals and audiophiles alike. The LCD-5 is now available on Audeze’s website and through select dealers. Audeze will be demoing the new LCD-5 at CANJAM SOCAL on September 25th-26th at Irvine Marriott, and also at the Capital Audio Fest in November.
The LCD-5 features Audeze’s patented core technologies, and comes with new acoustically designed leather earpads, an improved and luxurious carbon fiber suspension headband, deep “tortoise shell” acetate rings, all-new magnesium housing, plus our latest premium audio cable made with high-purity copper, and an aluminum travel case.
Audeze LCD-5 Key Features:
- New Parallel UniforceTM diaphragms and FluxorTM Magnets providepowerful sound, unparalleled sonic detail, and incredible accuracywithout increasing the impedance
- New internally sloped earpads that help to reduce unwanted resonancesand interior reflections
- Newly designed Fazors that are optimized to reduce diffractions
- The LCD-5 cable is specially tuned with directional OCC high-purity copper strands that provide a low capacitance and low resistance path to maintain unsurpassed clarity and precision.
- The LCD-5’s fully re-designed magnesium frame provides rigidity and ultra-light weight, while the acetate rings offer just the right touch of richness”Featuring our core technologies while adding some new innovations like our Parallel Uniforce voice coil, the LCD-5 incorporates decades of audio and technology research to deliver all the aspects of a truly reference audio experience,” stated Audeze CEO Sankar Thiagasamudram. “Our long term commitment to delivering reference products has led us to the LCD-5,” he added.”
Audeze LCD-5 Specifications:
|Transducer type||Planar Magnetic|
|Magnetic structure||FluxorTM magnet array|
|Magnet type||Neodymium N50|
|Diaphragm type||Nano-Scale Parallel UniforceTM|
|Transducer size||90 mm|
|Maximum power handling||5W RMS|
|Frequency response||5Hz – 50kHz|
|THD||<0.1% @ 100dB|
|Sensitivity||90 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point)|
|Minimum power requirement||>100mW|
|Recommended power level||>250mW|
More info: Audeze LCD-5